Friday, January 25, 2013

The U Camp

Sunset at the U Camp during the summer

Last summer, a few of my soccer friends and I went to a soccer camp at the University of Utah for four days. While there, our routine was eat, play soccer, sleep, repeat. It was tiring, but we also had a lot of fun. Now, during the offseason, our team doesn't get much time on the field so some of my friends, Marta and Gracie, and I decided to do another camp at the U. This one is every Friday afternoon and focusses on technical skills.

I have enjoyed every session I have gone to, but I also find it somewhat embarrassing when I'm there because most of the girls are older than me and way better. Playing around people I don't know that are way better than I am sort of makes me fall apart; I look like I've never touched a soccer ball in my life. That is obviously not true, but I can comfort myself by saying that I've been playing soccer for a little under two years and everyone around me has been playing for at least five. Anyways, this small, embarrassing factor has prevented me from looking forward to attending the camp on Friday afternoons. It seems like it sucks up the rest of my night even though it's only an hour and a half to two hours long. Against all odds, this week was different.

As usual, I found myself dreading the usual embarrassment I feel every Friday afternoon. Plus, Workout Club was doing a form workout that I would be missing. Of course, I have soccer the one time I really want to do a specific workout. Let's just say that for multiple reasons I did not want to go to the camp this week. Somehow I managed to change my mindset and convince myself that I was just going to hang out with my good friend, Gracie. Our focus this week was passing and receiving, or just possession, and, because of my more positive attitude, I was able to perform much better and have a lot more fun.

Afterwards, we went out to dinner at Noodles & Co. and had a blast remembering experiences we had at the U Camp over the summer. I learned more than just useful tips for passing and receiving from this week's training session. I learned, or rather was reminded, that your mindset and attitude really make a difference in how much you enjoy something and how much you will learn from it.

1 comment:

  1. Sophie, I missed you at workout club! I felt exactly the same way at soccer tryouts last summer! I love to hear about what you're doing and I love how your voice comes out in your posts! It's so true that when your attitude changes, so does your day!!! Thanks for the reminder! =) Keep it up! I'm excited for your next post! (I really do love your blog!)

    ReplyDelete