Thursday, January 17, 2013

The Comforts of Home

Before leaving on my cruise to South America, everyone always told me how great the food on cruise ships is.  They were right, the food was phenomenal, but no matter how good the food is, it's possible to get tired of buffet food and four-course meals.  Near the end of the cruise, I found myself craving simple things that I eat at home.  (Such as fruit, bread, crackers, and other simple yet delicious snacks!) This week I was happy to finally get to make and eat whatever food I wanted.  Trying new, gourmet food is great, but eating familiar foods can be even better.

One comfort food I had multiple times throughout the week was hot chocolate.  I was craving hot chocolate multiple times over break but never had any.  Plus, the climate differences between Buenos Aires and Park City are extreme, so the transition took me a while to get used to.

Thursday night, for once, I didn't have very much homework.  I decided to make a treat for my seminary class since the semester ended Friday and many people would be switching into a different class.  I made Rice Crispy Treats with Captain Crunch Berries in them.  Something my cousin often makes when we have family get-togethers.  My seminary class loved them and my family was very pleased when I had extras to bring home.

Rice Crispy Treats!


On Friday night, my mom and I were trying to think of creative dinner ideas involving chicken.  I know it's random, but it's true.  I found a recipe on For the Love of Cooking that looked fun and delicious so we decided to try it out.  We made chicken taco cups by putting tortillas in a muffin tin and putting the chicken inside.  It was delicious and is something I would like to try again in the future.

1. Butter the muffin tin and place small flour tortillas (cut in half) inside.

2. Put whatever kind of meat and cheese you want inside
3. Place in oven for about 15-20 minutes

4. Enjoy! (We ate them with salsa, guacamole, and tortilla chips)

We also had a beautiful fruit salad on the side


Eating any food I wanted whenever I wanted to was something that made my chaotic finals week just a little bit better.

Visit For the Love of Cooking for a more detailed recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment