Thursday, November 8, 2012

Workout Club: A Mental Game

High school soccer ended at the beginning of October and, for some unknown reason, my club soccer coach decided to give us a break until the beginning of November. I understand that "too much of a good thing can be bad," but isn't a month of no soccer a little long? Couldn't that break be more hurtful than helpful? I think it comes down to what you end up doing in the time off.

Our coach last year decided to give us a month long break as well and it proved hurtful because of each player's individual choices. Most players decided to be lazy throughout the entire month, which made coming back to soccer extremely difficult. We ended the fall season feeling like we had improved a lot and we were almost at the top of our division. Then we had a break from playing that set us back; the team looked and played sloppily when we started practices again. Instead of working on new things, we were forced to focus on old things and getting in better shape. 

I did not want a repeat of last year, so I decided to stay active during our time off and attend the Park City High School Workout Club. It is run by students in the weight room at PCHS. The workouts are different every time and I am always challenged. 

One workout that was difficult but that I enjoyed was the deck of cards workout. Each of the four suits represent different exercises you do and the number on the card determines how many reps you do. The deck of cards basically determines what order you do the workout in. In the end, you do at least 104 reps of four different exercises.

This workout was extremely challenging, but I still enjoyed it because of how I felt after completing it. I felt extremely accomplished and like I had made good use of my time. Working out is a mental game; you push yourself to the point where the last thing you want to do is another push up, but you keep going anyway. I really like how workout club has helped me to increase my mental endurance as well as my physical endurance. Sometimes things aren't enjoyable at the time, but we can see that they're worth it if we do them with the future in mind.
Deck of Cards Workout

2 comments: